Friday, April 12, 2013

Pantry - Part 2

I am continuing with the pantry this week. Last week we did the top two shelves. I will continue with the next two shelves today.

THIRD SHELF

Before

After
On this shelf there are some containers of dry goods. On the left side are several plastic jars/containers of dry goods such as sugar, flour, rice, and dry lentils (their are more containers behind these ones in front).  On the right side are plastic bins that hold smaller packages and packages of pasta such as linguine, spaghetti, and penne. The top bin holds lunch snacks such as granola bars or oatmeal cookies.

You can see my attempt at labeling these items with a green paint pen. This was before I purchased a label maker. The green paint is wearing off from frequent use. Getting the label maker was an excellent investment and has made organizing easier and more enjoyable for me.

Far Left: Flour, Sugar, Rice, & Dry Lentils

Far Right: Pasta & Lunch Snacks
I'm certain that people with OCD are going crazy that my labels are not perfectly straight and aligned with each container. At one time this would have bothered me as well. However, life is too short to worry about trivial things. Perhaps, once everything is better organized, I'll revisit this and make prettier, straighter, more aligned labels. I'll try to do better on my following projects.

FOURTH SHELF

Before
After

Initially there was a lot of wasted space on this shelf. I decided to move all the vinegar and oil to this shelf, with the items used more often to the front. This is a lower shelf but I can still reach the front items without having to sit on a chair. I would need to sit on a chair to get the items further back.

Because of the arthritis in my back and legs, I keep an old office chair on wheels in the kitchen, so that I can reach the bottom shelves in the pantry, lower cupboards, and refrigerator.

Far Left: Oils and Vinegars

Far Right: Miscellaneous Extra Stuff (Storage)
On the far right I took advantage of the space to store some extra items that would normally be kept elsewhere, such are extra mayonnaise and peanut butter.

I want to get some of Alejandra's suggested systems and gadgets to enhance my pantry experience. I have added these to my wish list. Some time in the future I will revisit my pantry and implement a different (and hopefully, prettier and better) system. However, for now, it may not be beautiful, but it is mine, and it is working for us.

I hope you are still with me on the journey. Please subscribe to this blog so you do not miss the upcoming posts. I have several posts planned for the upcoming weeks, including one on paper clutter that I am sure you will enjoy.

Here, for your pleasure, is another video on pantry organization by DoItOnADime:


See you next Friday!


If you are just getting started with Evernote, I suggest that you buy Brett Kelly’s remarkably practical e-book, Evernote Essentials, Second Edition. It is worth setting aside a couple hours to work through this brief, 95-page book. It will save you DAYS of learning Evernote on your own.



1 comment:

  1. It looks great Ana! I'm loving all the labels and plastic storage containers! I'm looking forward to more of your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete