Friday, May 17, 2013

Gadget Drawer

BEFORE --> Extreme Chaos
Every time I opened this drawer I would cringe at the mess. I had to dig around to find anything. It has been on my to-do list to organize for a long time.

I picked up 4 plastic drawer organizers from Dollarama (a dollar store). I still need another, shorter, more square one to replace the red mesh basket that I have squished back in to hold my measuring spoons.

Plastic Drawer Organizer from Dollarama

AFTER --> Better
I may get one more of the long plastic drawer organizer, instead, for the measuring spoons and put those measuring cups in front of that.

The most used gadgets and measuring spoons are closer to the front of the drawer. The items that are used less are further back, but still within reach. I got rid of any gadgets I never use. There were some items in this drawer that are better kept elsewhere, such as plastic cutlery and larger knives.

That red mesh basket is bothering me, however, it will have to do for now, until I can get out again to get another clear plastic organizer.  Once I have this drawer more how I envisioned it, I will add sticky-tac to the bottom of the plastic organizers to keep them from shifting, and add labels to help me remember everything's place in the drawer.

I do use a lot of measuring spoons when I cook, but I may cull these a bit more.  I have a touch-less can opener and my garlic press together right behind the measuring spoons because I use those nearly every day.

This drawer will be revisited in the future, after I have lived with it for a while, to see what works and what does not.

If you have any ideas about organizing the gadget drawer, please feel free to share them with us.

If you are just getting started with Evernote, I suggest that you buy Brett Kelly’s remarkably practical e-book, Evernote Essentials, Second Edition. It is worth setting aside a couple hours to work through this brief, 95-page book. It will save you DAYS of learning Evernote on your own.



See you next Friday.


7 comments:

  1. Nice job! Thanks for the reminder that my utensil drawers could use some reorganization. I find it interesting that you prefer to keep your measuring spoons separate instead of in sets. Keeping mine tied in their original sets helps me locate the size I need more easily. I generally try to measure dry things before wet or oily ones, but sometimes that's not possible. That's why I have two sets of measuring spoons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, LindaZed! I counted six sets, but I may reduce it to three. I like them separate so that it easier to wash. Like you, I tend to do dry, wet, then oily. Sometimes, however, it is integral to the recipe to do it in a different order. However, you have given me the idea of tying all my same size spoons together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not give a full response, above (not done on purpose, I just remembered, a few minutes ago, the main reason I separated the spoons).

      I only run the dishwasher when it is full. This is usually once a day, but sometimes can be twice a day or once every couple of days, depending on what I have made and how many dishes and utensils have been used. I run my measuring spoons through the dishwasher. So, this means if they are all stuck together and in the dishwasher, I have no spoons to measure with when I need them. This is why I have so many too. I also have different shaped spoons for different needs (fit in jars, shallow, deep, etc.)

      Perhaps I will not cull the spoons quite yet. I will keep an eye on how often I use each one and then remove the least used ones or unused ones.

      Delete
  3. Ahh measuring spoons. I grew up in a household that had an illogical idea that you ould only have one of anything. One pair of scissors, one set of measuring cups, spoons etc etc. I went a little wild in my own house and there are scissors in every room, and many sets...er...partial sets of measuring spoons about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine a home without scissors in every room!

      Delete
  4. My friend, Anne, suggested I get binder clips/rings to hold the measuring spoons together. I really like that idea because then I can easily unclip and clip them back together as needed. When I get some of those, I will update the second "After" photo. Thanks, Anne!

    ReplyDelete